Finding an experienced defense lawyer for your second DWI charge is critical because the penalties and consequence of multiple DWI’s are a far more severe. Having your second or third charge dropped can prevent you from paying thousands of dollars in fines, losing your license for years, and spending months in a prison cell.
A major difference between your first and your second offense is that for your first offense, the severity of the penalties was determined by your BAC at the time of the arrest. A BAC of 0.10% and higher meant harsher penalties than a BAC of 0.08%. For any DWI after your first offense within 10 years, this isn’t the case. No matter what the BAC is at the time of your second DWI, the penalties will be significantly higher than that of your first arrest. Since DWI’s are considered a traffic offense as opposed to a criminal offense, any DWI after 10 years of the first is considered a first offense and the penalties reset.
Your Second DWI
If you have been pulled over and receive your second DWI conviction, the penalties include:
- License suspension of 2 years minimum
- Between 2 and 90 days in prison
- $500-$1,000 in fines
- 48 attending the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC)
- 180 hours of community service
- Installation of an Ignition Interlock Device for 1 to 3 years
- IDRC fee of $280
- Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund: $100
- Drunk Driving Fund: $100
- Neighborhood Services Fund: $75
- Surcharges of $1,000 per year for 3 years.
- $3,000 surcharge from your insurance company
Your Third DWI
If you have already received two DWI convictions and go on to receive a third, the penalties will include:
- License suspension of 10 years
- Over $1,325 in fines
- $4,500 in surcharges
- Installation of an Ignition Interlock Device permanently
- 180 days in jail, 90 of which may be served in an alcohol treatment facility
The first thing you need to do after being charged with multiple DWI’s is to contact an attorney immediately. The penalties that come along with multiple charges are life-ruining and incredibly costly. To avoid the hefty fines, years without a license, and months in jail, contact the Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq. There are many ways to reduce or even dismiss a DWI charge. We a skilled team of lawyers who know how to beat multiple DWI charges and ensure the best possible outcome for our clients.